Sunday, December 23, 2007

nobody but you


I'd like to say that the idea for this drawing was my own, but it wasn't. While looking for some retro patterns, I found THIS gorgeous material, on Flickr. I knew I had to make a drawing like this. The model for my drawing was a fold out Ikea chair. I drew it while watching Brief Encounter. It was the first time I'd ever seen the whole film.

This is one of my absolute favourite things about art. That unique interpretation of a subject. I may be wrong, but I'm guessing that I am the only person in the history of man, who has ever made a drawing of an Ikea chair, inspired by some material from a 1950's dress, in sepia pen, whilst watching Brief Encounter. It's just a hunch.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Trailblazer, you are! ;)

They almost look like letter forms... like they are spelling something out.... Alternatively, I may be sleep-deprived. Still, they are cool!

Anonymous said...

Chances are you're right! :-)

mrana said...

What a great idea and drawing and pattern! Ryan is right about their looking almost like letters, love this!

Wishing a Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

And I thought - at first - that you were playing with matches!
w.
Happy Christmas or whatever you celebrate in mid-summer or mid-winter.

caseytoussaint said...

I love what you've done with it! Great idea.

Emma said...

I thought they looked like letters too! I watched Brief Encounter as well, although I've seen it at least twice before.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thank you peeps.

And, yes, they do look like letters.

suzanne cabrera said...

Hee, hee...I totally know what you mean! And yes, I'm pretty sure you are the only one to ever do this!

LOVE the results!

Notes from a Virtual Easel said...

OH! I feel I have come home and you are all my sisters : ).

Rick said...

Oh, I really DO like your work. I'm going to look around some - and I don't do that often. There is something about pen and ink that I really, really enjoy.

As far as the flickr inspired piece, I think that you took yours to a higher level. It is much better.

I really like your cross-hatching. I need to me more neat when I do mine.

I do a little sketching too. I would be honored if you would take a peek.


http://organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

This is fantastic! I love the idea of taking something like this and drawing it in all it's different arrangements. Brilliant (even if it was someone else's idea. And it does look like letters! I thought it might be trying to say Merry Christmas.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Cheers lovley peeps.

I'm glad you understand, sometimes I do wonder what I'm talking about...